Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Smoothie Time!

I'm excited this morning, and feeling very positive, because I feel like I'm getting back into the groove of things.  I really just need a couple of days in a row of getting things right - which, for me, means I'm meditating, I'm exercising, I'm eating clean, I'm drinking my smoothies, and I'm staying on task relatively well - to start feeling like Superwoman.  It's a great feeling.  This is one of those feelings I wish I could bottle and save for days when I'm struggling.

We're doing well at making Monday and Wednesday nights regular Y workout nights.  That's a big thing for me, because even though it's only two days a week, just the fact of having regular workout nights puts me in the right mindset for taking care of myself and observing healthy behaviors.  It makes it easier to do the things I need to do the rest of the time, because I feel I have that momentum.  I do make sure to make them really great workouts, just in case they end up being my only two, but the truth is they generally aren't.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I can generally get a decent workout playing Wii Sports, and when I get bored with that (which I figure I will in a week or so) I can use the WiiFit or my Jillian Michaels Wii workout (I have to work up to that one.  Jillian doesn't mess around, and I've been out of the game for a while now!) or I also have a yoga workout for the Wii...so I have plenty of options. 

Weekends are harder, simply because I don't have a regular routine.  The day progresses however it happens to progress, and while I have plenty of opportunities to fit in a workout, I tend not to do so.  This is something I need to work on - my tendency to need a set, regular routine to make me exercise.  For now, however, I'm choosing to be pleased with where I am rather than being dissatisfied because it's "not enough".  It's more than it was two weeks ago, and that's great.  This is me being happy with that. 

The smoothies really make a difference as well, to a surprising extent.  I keep being amazed by the increase in energy and focus, the improvement in physical and mental function, and the fact that I have fewer cravings and energy slumps. 

Today's smoothie is kiwi, strawberry, banana, baby spinach and kale.  And about 6 ounces of water.  This one is thinner than some of my recent efforts, which is nice, and it's absolutely delightful.  I'm relieved by that; I've been a little afraid of the kale, because word on the street (yes, Incredible Smoothies, where else?) is that kale has a stronger flavor and is a bit harder to cover than spinach or romaine.  I really hate leafy vegetables (which is why I'm doing smoothies to begin with!) so I was wary, but the kiwi-strawberry-banana combo is an awesome cover; I don't taste anything else.  It's a little sweet, a little tart, and totally delicious.  It's also about 377 calories for the whole thing; I drink half in the morning and half in the afternoon, so I'm under 200 calories with each and I definitely feel full; I won't want anything else until lunchtime.  The biggest thing, of course, is I'm getting massive amounts of Vitamins A, C, and B6, calcium, potassium...and I'm getting them from an ideal source - fresh, whole, organically grown foods. 

It's no wonder I feel good.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment